Subject: what kind of analogy is F.D.R. and Elizabeth II with Domingo???
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 15:05:20 -0500

I fail to see a connection with the four-time election of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, as
well as the continuing reign of Queen Elizabeth II of England, to the longevity of the career
of Placido Domingo.  It's  an apples and oranges analogy and I find it totally misplaced.
       F.D.R.'s presidency (between 1932 and 1944) encompassed one of the most
devastating periods in the history of the United States.  First the Depression, the Dust Bowl,
and then the miasma of World War II (which was the result of fact that the Treaty of
Versailles in 1918 wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, as well as the policy of
"Isolationism" from 1920 until 1937 {the year F.D.R. made his famous Quarantine Speech
which led the U.S. into finally arming for World War II}).  This marked the end of the
Depression.  In the 1940 election, the electorate wasn't about to "change horses in the
middle of the Atlantic).  By 1944, with the war having turned in our favor, Roosevelt was
already not a well man, but people were not about to change presidents at such a time.
Finally, exhausted after the Yalta Conference in 1944, he looked terrible and managed to
hold on until April, 1945.
       Of course, by 1948, an amendment to the Constitution was added to make more than
two elected Presidential terms prohibited.  But given the times, and using hindsight, it's a
good thing he was there as Commander and Chief.
       Queen Elizabeth II?  Of course she could/could have abdicated her throne to Prince
Charles, but she obviously has chosen not to (some of the reasons should be obvious).
Still, I can't see how FDR or Queen Elizabeth II "ruined life for generations".
       And to compare Placido Domingo to THEM??????????  I think this is sheer lunacy.  If
one wants to look to someone who "go", they need look no further than to our present
Commander and Chief!