Subject: more on the met traviata
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Dec 2018 17:12:43 -0600

Having reached only the beginning of the Act II Violetta / Germont duet yesterday I attempted to listen to the rest of the act this morning via headphones while walking. Regretfully, dropouts began just before “Di Provenza” so I still haven’t made it through the scene. Fortunately, checking my original mp3 file reveals that the problem is in the transfer to my iPod so I’ll try reloading it for tomorrow.

I do have a comment or two about what I did hear:

Kelsey continues to remind me of Warren - a good thing. But I detected a slight rasp in his voice early in the aria.

The conducting is very slow with a number of pauses that probably can be explained while watching the performance. If anyone was there I’d appreciate hearing if the pauses may have been caused by stage business. I don’t think that would excuse them but at least it would offer an explanation. The duet was the slowest I’ve heard since Chicago’s resident routinier conducted it back in the mid-80s. OTH, there was the Met broadcast conducted by Gergiev a few years back that was so fast that it sounded to me like he had an appointment that he was afraid he’d be late for. Either that or he was suffering from a weak bladder problem…

As for Ms. Damrau, I have one minor nit to pick: I didn’t agree with the way she sang the first “Morro” in “Morro! Morro! La mia memoria.” I think that she should express resignation of her fate not, as Damrau sang it, defiance. To my ear the bulk of Violetta’s part in the scene is about her helplessness. Just saying…

Kurt Youngmann

"There is no science in this world like physics. Nothing comes close to the precision with which physics enables you to understand the world around you. It's the laws of physics that allow us to say exactly what time the sun is going to rise. What time the eclipse is going to begin. What time the eclipse is going to end.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson