Subject: Re: PBS "Great Performances at the Met" and Lyric Opera of Chicago
From: Bruce P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Dec 2018 18:25:05 +0000

hello I do already check WNET's website, however, where I live, you wouldn't say:   "are close enough"....!
Where I live, the Met performances are most often aired many months if not a WHOLE YEAR after the original airdate on WNET!!  When I complained to my local PBS station, they said they can do what they want with these Met telecasts, air them (or not air them---as in the 2 Levine performances of Nabucco and Idomeneo--which they have pulled from any air date, due to Levine's suspension from the Met--even though WNET had already presented them).
 They also can air them any time they want, i.e. not in prime time, more like 2am!!  My complaints to them fell on deaf ears, so I gave up.

The main issue is that PBS stations are no longer tied to a 'national" airdate schedule any more like the old days when the network aired something, the entire system of PBS stations presented it and we all saw it on the same day.  Those days are gone.  More local control was given to individual PBS stations.

We don't even get the full slate of other Great Performances programs, and some of the British dramas also left out.

I know there are ways around this, like a better satellite service where I can pick up alternate PBS stations, but I just don't have the extra $$$ to spend.