Subject: Re: . Il Trittico recordings (2)
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Dec 2018 10:50:08 -0800

There’s a very good performance, different from others but still (I think) very convincing, on Orfeo d’Or from a 1979 Vienna State Opera staging in excellent stereo sound.

Some of the casting (particularly of “Schicchi”) doesn’t read off as idiomatic Italian, but the performance is full of life.

Gerd Albrecht conducts quite beautifully. I think few will complain about Pilar Lorengar’s Suor Angelica, with searing high notes, but the “Schicchi” with Walter Berry as Schicchi, Sona Ghazarian as Lauretta, Yordi Ramiro as Rinuccio and Margarita Lilova (once upon a time a superb Amneris/Fricka) as Zita surprises, positively. The “Tabarro” is brooding and powerful with prime voiced Renato Bruson as Michele, Marilyn Zschau as Giorgetta (sorry, Kenneth, but that’s what it says in my copy of the score) and a very potent, powerful and studly sounding Vladimir Atlantov as Luigi.

Max Paley