Subject: Re: Ligeti, Turandot
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Dec 2018 05:50:58 -0500

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 03:18:42 -0600, Russ Geschke
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It's very good that you remembered that interview, and
reminded the rest of
>us of it.  It was actually author and at that time WFMT
personality Studs
>Terkel who interviewed Raisa, in November 1959.
(Karzas never interviewed
>her.)  The interview, somewhat abridged, was included in
a three-CD set,
>"Rosa Raisa, The Complete Recordings", issued by
Marston Records.  Raisa's
>correction concerning the pronunciation of Turandot was
cut from Marston's
>edited version of the interview, but I do recall it from
having heard a tape
>of the complete interview.  At any rate, in the part of the
interview that
>Marston did use, Raisa can be heard repeatedly
pronouncing the name  as
>"Turandoh" no "t".
_________________

[GR] So why do people on this board pointedly ignore this
every time Raisa's own practice is pointed out, one poster
even going so far as to imply that Raisa isn't an ideal
witness(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)?????

What's with that?  Why the neurotic denial?  Is it because
of a sick fact-denying world we're going through?

Geoffrey Riggs
________________________

Grande Macabre
>was composed 1974–77, revised version 1996. In
short, one serious vocal
>composer got there a long time ago.
>
>Rosa Raisa, who premiered the role of Turandot under
Toscanini, once
>interrupted her interview with Andy Karzas on WFMT
radio to correct his
>pronunciation of the opera's title. She said something, "I
must correct
>you. I worked with the Maestro himself, and it is
Turandoh, not Turandott."
>[spelled for pronunciation's sake]
>
>That hasn't stopped anyone from pronouncing it
"Turandott."

>jason
>---
>Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com
Whistler
>Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The
Pavarotti of Pucker**
>Music and audiophile critic: Stereophile, Seattle Times,
Port Townsend
>Leader,  San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area
Reporter, Gay City News,
>American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America,
Stanford Live, Opera
>Now, Copper, and more
>
>"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence
encourages the
>tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel
>
>“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ.
It’s a time to stand
>out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and
to let them know
>we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will
not go back into
>the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our
Orlando Massacre Support
>Rally in Port Townsend, WA

>To stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message
>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:
SET OPERA-L NOMAIL
http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html