Subject: Re: How do you solve a priblem like Turandot/Turandoe?
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 23:13:29 -0500

Actually, you just answered your own question, so to speak. You were told (assumedly by
your choral director, or the conductor) how to pronounce the name.

The singers and coaches who "should know" these things probably have the same
debates we're having out here. So I'm not sure how it would help when they all come in
with different answers, lol. But it absolutely should be the job of the chorus master, the
conductor, and the director to agree on these things and to inform the cast as to what
they want. Opera is collaborative.

And as long as we're talking choral situations, there are always different approaches to
specific vowel sounds, cutoffs (i.e. where to put the final consonant on a cutoff so it's
synchronized and clean), and even comprehensive language issues (what form of Latin,
for instance, or how to deal with other obscure/"dead" languages such as the old
German/French/Latin used in Carmina Burana, etc. 10 different performances of a work
like that will yield 10 different takes on pronunciations).

The only things that truly matter are that decisions are informed with some sense of
purpose, opinion, and foundation, and that everyone pronounces things uniformly. I don't
care whether it's TurandoT or Turandoh as long as everyone in any given production says
it the same way. ;-)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 19:17:34 -0500, Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>One would think that opera singers, with their training and voice coaches should know
the correct pronunciation of the operas they are singing. When I sang with the chorus in a
concert version of Turandot, we were told to sing the final T  and not some corrupt
attempt which sounds like it's trying to be French or Czech-Republic.