Subject: Re: met traviata
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 22:44:20 +0000

Hi, Y'all!      To my ears, all three principal roles in "La Traviata" require smaller-than-spinto size voices.  These are LYRIC-weight roles.   I was unable to hear the final act of this broadcast, but through the first two I was in absolute Heaven.  AT LAST I heard voices I consider appropriate to these parts, especially in the role of Alfredo.  I heard more true legato in this performance than I hear with larger-voiced singers who bluster their way through phrasing that requires more delicate treatment than one usually hears. I am so tired of "bull-in-a-china-shop" "Traviatas."      Best regards,     Dennis Ryan