Subject: Re: Turandot
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 16:46:03 -0500

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 20:44:24 +0000, Matt Carver
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Manon Lescaut is the name of a French person.  Thus,
even in Italian opera, it's said lIke her name is pronounced
in France.
>Turandot isn't French.  The name comes from an Italian
play, La Turandotte.
>There is NO connection whatsoever to French. NONE.

_________________

[GR] I'm not making a bloody connection to French, for
crying out loud.  I'm showing that Puccini doesn't always
Latinize his characters. Otherwise, he would have done
Rahn-che for Rance (English) and LescauT (or less - cowt)
for Lescaut (French, silent T).  He didn't. That's why the
argument that Turandot is an Italian opera is such an
absurd one here.

While we're at it, why do YOU dismiss combined testimony
from members of the original Turandot cast?

Geoffrey Riggs
>To stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message
>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:
SET OPERA-L NOMAIL
http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html