Subject: Re: met traviata
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:03:58 -0500

My impressions listening on Sirius were much the same as yours.  The Alfredo and Violetta were light-weight voices for the roles, especially in the last two acts.  They sang well but just did not have the heft needed to bring the music off.  Kelsey was the only voice with the required size and gravitas.  He was impressive.  Nézet-Séguin brought a clear, fresh vision to the score that was much more faithful to its dynamics than one usually hears.  Some of his rubati were poorly coordinated but will surely improve with repetition.
I will attend the HD transmission to see the production before I comment on it.

Ron Magnuson