Subject: met traviata
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 11:19:11 -0600

It surprises me that no one has commented on the Sirius broadcast of the Met’s opening performance of “La Traviata.” So far I’ve only listened through the first few minutes of the Violetta / Germont duet, and not with great concentration since I heard it through headphones during my morning walk.

I was concerned that JDF might be pushing a bit beyond his Fach but, other than not being used to hearing it with such a light voice (Kraus had a bit heftier sound) the first act and “De’ miei bollenti spiriti” sounded quite good to me. I believe this was his first Alfredo so I expect that he’ll have benefitted from another performance or two by the day of the telecast / broadcast.

Diana Damrau, too, doesn’t possess the kind of voice I’ve come to expect for this opera but she’s a fine singer who really understands characterization. Again, with my cursory attention to detail, I was very impressed with the way she voiced the words, “Sempre libera” in the second stanza of the cabaletta. She makes it sound like she knows full well that there aren’t all that many “sempres” left to her.

I like Quinn Kelsey’s voice. His timbre reminds me a lot of Leonard Warren.

I’ve decided to eschew the telecast because I find this production particularly abhorrent - even compared to other current Eurotrash atrocities. So, I’ll content myself with the audio only. By then I’ll have had a chance to listen to the prima in its entirety.

Kurt Youngmann

“One should not go to church if one wants to breathe pure air.” - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, 1886