Subject: Re: Barbara Hannigan/ Ligeti
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Dec 2018 11:14:08 -0500

This is a bit of a party piece (and of course a sort of excerpt from Le
Grand Macabre, so it should be taken in that context).  Personally I think
it is a lot of fun.  I have seen (live or on video) Ms. Hannigan perform
this piece several times, sometimes conducting it herself, other times with
Sir Simon Rattle conducting.

There are at least a couple of films of her rehearsing an orchestra
(including in this piece) and it is clear that she comes to conducting with
very specific ideas of what should be brought out in the music.  She brings
the same intensity and thoroughness of preparation to her conducting as she
does to her singing.  Her conducting work now seems to be about half of her
performance schedule.

DK

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 06:01:56 -0500, Ulrik <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 21:15:32 -0600, Les Mitnick
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Watched this for about six minutes and had to get rid of it.  If this is
where
>serious vocal music is heading, I'm bailing out.
>
>Well, as far as I know, this piece was prepared in 1992 on the basis of
Ligeti's