Subject: Re: "Mefistofele' tonight at the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:39:18 -0500

Hi Peggy

One of the great recitals. It also contains duets from Tosca, Werther,
Traviata and L'Amico Fritz. the last, among the most beautiful recordings
ever made. They were married for a number of years, and each had
successful careers after they parted ways. But, during their years of
"marital bliss", they were as good as it gets; legendary is not an
exaggeration.

Among my favorite recordings of all time is her "Son pochi fiori" from
Fritz. Her heartfelt, simple approach is breathtaking, as are all of
her recordings. They are direct, totally lacking in "affectation" and
tonally gorgeous. We often use the phrase "within him/herself". She
was the dictionary definition of those who understand their strengths
and their limitations. Yes, I adore her! Him, too!

Bob