Subject: Re: "Mefistofele' tonight at the Met
From: "David M. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Nov 2018 18:28:41 -0500

I share the anticipation. Just want to register an opinion that no production will ever equal NYCO’s, which, *pace* an earlier post, was by Tito Capobianco. (Corsaro did their Gounod Faust.)

Capobianco showed Heaven as a shifting sound-and-late show of Renaissance art amid cloudy scrims. You knew the “taunter” was on scene when popping lights revealed the outline of his tall rocky throne. But where was he himself? Reclining in the side of that throne, as revealed when the follow-spot came up on him at “Ave Signor!”

Now, Carsen - well, I have no quarrel with the notion that Heaven is an opera house, but he hasn’t closed the deal with me on depicting it as one.

I’ve heard rumors about someone (not the Met) restoring and presenting the “Karajan Ring” (this comes from the Günther Schneider-Siemssen Appreciation Page on Facebook). I’m aware of the NYCO fire, but the Capobianco Mefistofele depended very little on hard sets (cd be reconstructed at little expense) and much on projections and scrims.

That production called for a lithe, svelte, athletic star. To have tried it w Christoff or Hines wd have required some compromises. It was designed for Norman Treigle. His successors were Michael Devlin, William Chapman, and of course Ramey. Devlin and Ramey had the production’s physique du role; not sure about Chapman (saw him once in Tabarro - awesome). Christian van Horn could do it!

Well, MUCH better to put on Mefistofele in a production open to some criticisms than not to put it on at all. 3(toi) to all involved tonight!

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone