Subject: Re: Marnie
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Nov 2018 02:41:21 -0500

For accuracy's sake, Isabel Leonard is a mezzo, not a soprano.

By "casting" you presumably mean "composing".  I assume the composer (MuHly)
had particular vocal types in mind when he was writing the opera.  The
countertenor in question is Iestyn Davies, who is one of the best
countertenors around and an accomplished singer with a repertoire spanning
Dowland, Bach, and Handel to contemporary works (Written on Skin, The
Tempest, Exterminating Angel).

Are you saying that Denyce Graves is not attractive?

When you refer to "embellish[ing] that note 3 or 4 times", do you mean the
use of melismata?  That is hardly a "modern" technique.

DK