Subject: opera on tv (was Re[2]: THE SOUND OF MUSIC)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Nov 2018 02:06:08 +0000

Amahl and the Night Visitors was originally a production of the NBC
Television Opera Theatre which aired several productions a season from
1949 to 1964 on NBC. The productions were a mix of scenes from
well-known operas and original compositions such as Amahl, the first
original composition in the series. Other composers commissioned for the
series included Bohuslav Martinu and Lukas Foss. The first broadcast in
the series was "Down in the Valley," an extended version of a radio
opera composed by Kurt Weill.

The primary figure behind the Opera Theatre was Peter Herman Adler,
known at the Met for a run of Ballos and another of Manon Lescaut. After
the NBC series ended in the 60s, Adler went on to a similar series at
NET, the precursor to PBS. Adler was responsible for most of the opera
(what little there was) that aired on American television through the
seventies.

Supposedly, the original decision to air the Opera Theatre came after
Adler brought Mario Lanza and George London to perform excerpts from
Boheme for David Sarnoff. Sarnoff was left in tears and agreed to the
series.

Rich