Subject: Re: THE SOUND OF MUSIC
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 20:25:00 -0500

I tried to watch the Sound of Music last night and within minutes found myself in a stupor
trying to think of one good reason this was allowed to go forward, and wondering if the
powers-that-be at PBS had been blackmailed, or were tethered together in a room with
guns pointed at them.  Unlike the NBC version a few years ago which was wretched beyond
belief, but at least had some comic moments - unintentional though they were (i.e., Carrie
Underwoods wooden Maria, stumbling and trying to regain her footing on the "mountain" in
the opening number), I was unable to stay for more than a few minutes with last night's
mess.

The mention of "The Sound of Music" for Telarc with von Stade and Hagegard put a smile on
my face as Erich Kunzel knew exactly how to pace this gloriously cast recording and I recall
loving it as soon as I put it in the CD machine.   It also featured Eileen Farrell's powerful
turn in "Climb Every Mountain."   Similarly, Flicka was the first Maria who didn't make me
miss Ms. Andrews in "The Lonely Goatherd," (though Roberta Peters is in the running there
as well).

Likewise, one of my favorite recordings of anything by anyone remains the EMI "Show Boat"
project by McGlinn with von Stade, Stratas, Hadley, et al.  It remains one of the most
played musicals in my home, and it's never failed to move me as much as from the first
hearing.  Maybe even more so now.

There have been hits and misses with opera singer-cast musicals, usually the former, but
once in a while gold is struck ass in the two above examples.

As to the small screen projects of late, Jesus Christ Superstar was the only one that didn't
have me cringing (and I agree with Jon that Mr. Legend was not the best casting decision,
but it still worked) and wishing I'd not tuned in.  Not terribly far behind that was "A
Christmas Story" which got flambed and roasted by the critics, but which I found had a lot
of charming performances and some rather good music.

I do wish more things were actually "created" for television than "squeezed into television" -
but that's just personal preference.  Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors" - for me,
remains at the top of that small heap.  I'm still disappointed the excellent film the BBC
made of "Amahl" for Menotti's 90th birthday, was withheld from release by Schirmer
(Menotti's publisher) with the argument, they were making their own film for the composer.
Menotti's been dead nearly a dozen years and they still haven't made one, nor allowed the
BBC's to ever see the light of day.  Thanks to pirates (arrrgh matey) here is Patricia Racette
as The Mother in the aria "All That Gold" from the unreleased film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3HcWjRTkNg&t=27s

p.