Subject: Marnie
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 19:19:28 -0500

Okay, I'll attempt it.
I am definitely not the one to do this fairly because I admittedly am
prejudiced against the English language in opera.

The Good:
Isabel Leonard is one of the most gorgeous, stunning, charming and
beautiful voiced sopranos at the Met today.  She alone made me sit
through that entire opera.
The chorus was, as usual, marvelous, as well as the unique dance
interpretations.

The Bad:
The casting. What were they thinking when they cast Maltman's brother as
a very skinny thin unattractive and unappealing counter-tenor instead of a
more masculine Rance-like voice with some turn-off sexual attraction.  This
guy was like a worm yet she was obviously mesmerized by his
obnoxiousness and frequented poker games with him.
Another weird casting I thought was that of Marnie's mother (played well
by Denise Graves with one helluva great chest voice), but the role should
have been cast with a more attractive bitch which would have made more
sense.

The Ugly:
I know, maybe it's just me, but I am so annoyed about a typical style used
in modern music.  Instead of just singing a final note: (Example:) "No, I
won't!"  "Yes you will!" and ending the last word with a single note, they,
instead embellish that note 3 or 4 times before ending it.  (It's hard to
explain -- am I getting through to you?)

Another puzzling thing was the remark Maltman made during intermission
when he was interviewed and asked what he thought of his character.  It
shocked me to hear him express the feeling that he was an evil person and
said that in order to play the character he had to keep in mind that the one
good thing about the character was his love for Marnie.  Say what?
I thought his was a much more sympathetic role than he gave credit for.
This man took a thief off the streets and married her, partly because he
was madly in love with her, but also because he was trying to help her find
herself.  He was kind and tolerant with her.  He gave in to her whims by
buying her a beloved horse, trying to get her to go to a shrink, and
protecting her by paying off a blackmailer.  Are these the traits of an evil
man? (And please don't counter with that supposed attempted rape scene.
That was purely the actions of a frustrated human being, not a true animal-
like rapist.)

Finally, I find the music of Nico Muly wanting, but, as I said before, that's
just me.