Subject: Re: Deanna Durbin's box office supremacy: was: Re: Lily Pons
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 20:36:09 +0000

It's not quite accurate to describe the original release of Wizard of Oz
as a complete box office failure--it's true that the film's revenues
were less than the costs, primarily because MGM spent a lot on the film,
but fantasy was considered a risky genre (as it would continue to be,
pretty much until Star Wars), and the film actually did far better than
was expected. The economics of the film business were very different
then since the studios owned the distribution networks (the theaters).
Box office receipts were often reported as compared to "normal"
business; Wizard of Oz did 156% of a normal film and was the #9 movie of
the year. Most importantly from MGM's perspective, it helped turn Judy
Garland into a star; her salary was increased afterwards, turning her
into one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood. Obviously over time
the film turned into a huge success; it's been estimated that it is the
most viewed film ever.

As far as Deanna Durbin goes, James is quite right that she was a huge
star--even more popular than Shirley Temple. There were Deanna Durbin
dolls and clothing--but she hated the life of a star and chose to leave
show business, probably one reason she's no longer well remembered.