Subject: Richard Tucker Gala 2018 as heard on WQXR today
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:23:00 -0500

Hello everybody

I only heard part of it, so a few comments.

Christian Van Horn, this year's winner, has a really good voice
and sings very well. My only carp - it's more baritonal and less
"bassy" than I'd ideally like. But he has range and shows great
promise.

I'll never get Angela Meade's message, as they say. She has very
good tops but the rest of the voice barely approximates pitches.
They are rarely exactly where they are supposed to be and are often
 pretty far away. I'm not a Rossini fan for the most part, so that didn't
help.

Christine Goerke has certainly come to a bad patch in her
career, if the Cavalleria scene is a fair measure of her current
vocal estate. She consistently flats above the staff, sometimes not
by just a little. The mddle range remains impresiive, to the
extent that this music displays it. But it was disappointing.

"Vicino a Te" was a WOW! I never heard Yusif Eyvazov before and
I have to say I was fairly impressed. Mrs. Eyvazov was in complete
command of a voice in full bloom. God, I love that music! What a
great way to end a not too great concert. I think it was in key,
and if so, her final B was somethin'.

Bob