Subject: THE SOUND OF MUSIC
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 10:56:58 -0500

Here's an opera related question prompted by the PBS
presentation last night of the dismal 2015 revival of
Rodgers & Hammerstein's nearly 60 year old musical,
and which couldn't have been more boring.

Does anyone recall a studio recording of the show that
starred Frederica von Stade, Eileen Farrell, Hakan
Hagegard, Barbara Daniels and others, released in the
late Eighties?  Sounds like it should have been a winner.

Why do they keep trying to produce small scale versions
of such high flying works, I wonder?  The only one that, IMO,
succeeded, was the "live" NY Philfarmonic CAROUSEL, a
few years back, with Nathan Gunn, and, I think, Stephanie
Blythe: one of the best performances of that lovable work I
ever saw.

dtmk