Subject: Re: Deanna Durbin's box office supremacy: was: Re: Lily Pons
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 06:42:17 -0500

It would not have been the first time a "timeless masterpiece"
had to wait to earn full recognition, would it?  Besides, the director
of WIZARD, Victor Fleming, who may have been moonlighting from
his duties on another 1939 blockbuster starring one of the  real Kings
of Hollywood at the time, (no not Mickey Rooney) must have been on to
something with Miss Garland.

I was a movie nut at the time, with juvenile admission at ten cents,
I had no trouble seeing 5 or 6 pictures a week - double features
being the established norm at the time.  But I can't tell you how turned
off  I was every time Deanna Durbin turned up; even 100 MEN AND A
GIRL made me cringe - she shrieked her dialogue and she shrieked
her songs; the Philadelphia Orchestra  under Leopold Stokowski
couldn't drown her out.  I had a slightly older friend who loved her, but
he died a long time ago.

BTW, there were two Oscars  for the music of WIZARD OF OZ, one for
"Over the Rainbow" by Harold Arlen, well deserved, and the other for
Original
Score" by Herbert Stothart.  The latter is an eternal stain on the sanity
of the
Motion Picture Academy Awards, in the year that Max Steiner's indisputable
masterpiece was nominated.  That stain was actually only half of the
dementia,
the other being recognition of Robert Donat's silly posturing instead of
Clark
Gable's  triumphant Rhett Butler.

I hear the outcry - Back to Opera!

dtmk