Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Lily Pons
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 01:21:54 -0500

Mr. Mitnick, where oh where do you get your facts?  Durbin was the biggest female
star in Hollywood for at least ten years, far bigger in box office and salary impact
than Garland EVER was and don't take my word for it, read IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002052/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Undoubtedly, the people who made the decision do let her get away from MGM to
Universal (she saved the studio) bitterly regretted it the way Warner regretted
letting Ginger Rogers get away to RKO in favor of keeping the dimly talented Ruby
Keeler.

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 20:12:23 -0600, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
hear such a young girl (not yet twenty) sing arias from Trovatore, Rigoletto, and
other operas, it's significant to note that when both of their respective contracts
expired at the same time at MGM, it was Judy Garland whom MGM chose to retain.
Deanna Durbin's career was effectively over by 1940, while Judy Garland became
the greatest musical star of the 1940's, and then in the following decade, became
the greatest entertainer since Al Jolson.  I don't see how you can even compare the
promise Deanna Durbin undoubtedly exhibited to the impact and electricity that
Judy Garland came to represent.  Judy Garland hit her peak in around 1945, and
when she was terminated by MGM, she went on to concertizing all over the U.S.
and Europe for years and years ---- despite her personal trials and tribulations.
She was also an excellent actress, as evidenced by her non-singing roles in "The
Clock", "A Child is Waiting", and "Judgement at Nuremberg.  She put her acting
chops and her voice together in her 1954 version of "A Star is Born", which was/still
is Prime Garland.  And of course there was that legendary Carnegie Hall concert in
1961.
>>     Deanna Durbin was a "flash in the pan" compared to what Judy Garland
became.  Teenagers singing in opera (remember Marion Talley at the Met?) never
were able to make it into the "big time".  The days of Malibran, Patti, and others
were long gone ---------------even by 1940.
>> > On November 9, 2018 at 5:34 PM James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> > I finally read this (I'm just now decompressing after the election - yes we got
our
>> > candidate Katie Hill into the Congress!!).
>> >
>> > What you write shows that you have scant understanding of how prestigious
an
>> > opera singer was in Pons's time.  Opera singers occupied a higher plane of
prestige
>> > than any pop singer including Crosby. That of course is no longer true, but it
was in
>> > the 1930s up through Pons's heyday although it ended just after. This is
partly the
>> > reason why Pons drew more people to the Hollywood Bowl than even the
Beatles
>> > would. But the main reason she drew so many people is that she was Lily
Pons and
>> > in her heyday, she was at the pinnacle.
>> >
>> > In her time, Pons's name was synonymous in the United States with opera
just as
>> > Caruso's had been in his time and as Callas was in hers and Netrebko's is
today.

>> > For someone like Lily Pons, or Lawrence Tibbett, or Beniamino Gigli making
movies
>> > was a lark, something to do when they weren't at their main business of
opera. The
>> > same went for an operatic supernova like Geraldine Farrar who did have an
>> > important movie career.
>> >
>> > Regarding the earlier diva, one can read in John Barrymore's autobiography
>> > "Confessions of An Actor" how he approached Geraldine Farrar nervously in
order to
>> > ask for her autograph. At the time Barrymore himself, a member of an
illustrious
>> > theatrical family was already a Broadway star. But opera singers had their
own
>> > special divinity (although even the expression "Diva" now applies more
correctly to
>> > pop singers today) None of us born after WWII can conceive of just how
opera
>> > singers were worshiped by the public, even the parts of a public who had
little
>> > interest in opera per se.
>> >
>> > Here's another example of how opera stars were in a class by themselves,
when
>> > Rodgers and Hammerstein heard that Ezio Pinza might be available, they
created
>> > South Pacific for him. It was Pinza, not Mary Martin who was the catalyst for
this
>> > masterpiece even though he barely sang more than 15 minutes of the music.
>> >
>> > Undoubtedly Crosby was the most ubiquitous and probably richest pop singer
after
>> > Gene Autry (through his breath of activity), but I don't believe he was ever
the
>> > number one box office movie star. That honor went to such as Shirley
Temple, Will
>> > Rogers,  Rin Tin Tin (the dog), Deanna Durbin (in her prime far bigger than
Judy
>> > Garland) and Ronald Reagan.
>> >
>> > The revisionist trashing of Pons's posthumous reputation was accomplished
mainly
>> > (but not exclusively) through British writers who were jealous (and still are)
of the
>> > United States's hegemony in cultural matters. Of course it wasn't just Pons.
For
>> > example, the noted record collector Richard Bebb told me that Harold
Rosenthal