Subject: Re: "Mefistofele' tonight at the Met
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Nov 2018 15:26:54 -0600

Coincidentally, today I was listening to the section from the Helen of Troy scene beginning “Forma ideale”  on my morning walk. It’s my favorite part of this opera which, for me, has much music that could contend in the “favorite” category. The Faust is Giuseppe Filianoti, a tenor I had high hopes for before his unfortunate illness. A gorgeous voice in the true Italian tradition.

The performance (available on DVD) was from Palermo where the production had ended its run just a few weeks before my visit there. Talk about bad timing!

I saw that 1961 Chicago performance as well. Christoff set the standard for me as Mefistofele - pretty much as he did in most of his roles. During that ’61 season he also sang Guardiano and Basilio. Time machine, anyone?

Kurt Youngmann

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 3:13 PM, William Videbeck <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Boito has a way with a melody, deceptively simple at times but utterly beautiful in a classic fashion.

"The key to the mystery of a great artist is
that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life
just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with
the feeling that something is right in the world.” -
Leonard Bernstein.