Subject: Re: Lily Pons
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Nov 2018 00:17:07 +0000

Again, your approach to what were once known as "facts" forces me to
question anything you say. "Prestige" is a nebulous concept; what we
were discussing were popularity and sales. You may not want to "believe"
that Bing Crosby was ever the top movie star, but in the reality in
which many of us are based he was--he was the top movie star from
1944-48, and a 2000 study based on ticket sales estimated he was the
third most popular star ever, after only Clark Gable and John Wayne. His
record sales are estimated to have topped 1 billion--probably even more
than Lily Pons.

Rodgers and Hammerstein did not create "South Pacific" for Pinza--the
show was announced months before his signing. Pinza wanted to appear on
Broadway and contracted with the producer Edwin Lester to find him a
show; just a week before signing the contract for South Pacific he was
prepared to appear in a different show. It's true that they wrote
Pinza's songs with his voice in mind, but then they did the same with
Mary Martin's songs--it was how musicals worked.  (Incidentally, the NY
Times article announcing Pinza's contract suggests that people might
have heard of him--because he had sung duets on the radio with Bing
Crosby).

And since you seem obsessed with the Hollywood Bowl figures for Pons,
they are not particularly meaningful--like many in Hollywood, the Bowl
has had work done over the years and its capacity has varied. For
instance, during the war it was limited to 5000, to avoid overly large
crowds. (And the largest attendance at the Bowl was actually a 1956 Jazz
at the Philharmonic concert with Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald.)
Or did you somehow think that the Beatles failed to sell out their
shows?

If you have data to support your beliefs about Pons or the others you
suggest were bigger stars than Crosby, let's have it, but as has been
said, you have a right to your opinion but not to your own facts. I hate
to say who you sound like.