Subject: Re: "Mefistofele' tonight at the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Nov 2018 18:40:49 -0500

How about you and Les (and some others) deciding that every person
on this forum is entitled to an opinion that may be different from your
own, and that they might just be right. I find "Mefistofele" to be an
opera of a few great highs and a couple of hours of lows. I've seen it
three times staged, and once in concert, the concert with Tebaldi,
Ghiaurov and Bergonzi, a night to remember, not for the music, but for
the moment that it was. Ghiaurov, Ligabue and Kraus in Philadelphia
was as great as singing ever gets, and while it more than salvaged
the evening, it did not salvage the work

I could not care less how many people find it a masterpiece, and I
could not care equally less how much company I have. I hear "Mefistofele"
as an entertainment that engages me for twenty minutes in the beginning,
ten minutes when Margherita is lamenting this and that, another ten
when Faust is warbling his pleasant tunes, yet another ten when Elena
is thrilling us with her top C scene, and finally another ten minutes when
Mefistofele repeats the magnificent themes of the Prologue. The rest is
filler hardly worthy of comment.

People who are "sick" of opinions that differ with their own and people
who have nothing better to offer than that those who differ are "delusional"
are - among a very large group who "know not and know not that they know
not".

Offered without apology!

Bob