Subject: Re: "Mefistofele' tonight at the Met
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Nov 2018 16:25:58 -0600

I'm sick of these opera "experts/snobs" who put their noses down on operas like "Mefistofele", "Wally",
"Adriana", Gioconda", Turandot, Andrea Chenier" and "Cav/Pag" and "Fanciulla".  I love the music in all of these operas and they've given me hours and hours of joy and happiness.
   I say to hell with these condescending and self-appointed "critics" who dismiss these operas as "Italian pasta".  "Mefistofele" is a beautiful, beautiful opera, and every time I hear it, I love it even more.  It's an amazing opera, and I find the "Helen of Troy" scene one of the most sublime scenes in all of opera, and a beautiful and startling contrast to everything that has come before it in this particular opera.  I could go on and on about all of the above-mentioned operas, but I won't bother.  I don't care how many detractors these operas have.  I love them and I consider them masterworks because they make ME happy, which is why I am an "opera man" to start with.