Subject: Re: "Mefistofele' tonight at the Met
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Nov 2018 15:57:05 -0500

Can anyone explain the very negative opinion of this piece expressed over
the years by certain musicians?  As I recall, for a while at least Levine
expressly forbid it from the Met repertoire.  Like most posters here I have
loved it since I was a teenager.  Great tunes, thrilling choruses, exciting
orchestration.  Not liking a piece is one thing, but calling it trash, as
many professionals have done, seems strange to me.

Related point.  Is there anything in 'Nerone' nearly as good?

David Kubiak