Subject: Re: Daniels out of SFO Orlando
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Nov 2018 05:52:21 -0500

First, institutions just looked the other way (Levine, Weinstein, etc.) with
disastrous results. Now are they moving too fast? There are two assault allegations
against Daniels, both not investigated and denied by Daniels. Those "screen grab"
kids on Grindr that get their stuff published as actual charges is absurd.
Second, in a Google search that lasted only a few seconds I learned that only TWO
universities in the United States prohibit "intimate relations" between faculty and
students (Rochester and Stanford).
Third, there is now a question about the reality of accusations. After a 10 month
investigation, the Montreal Symphony's outside investigation of music director
Dutoit was "inconclusive." Today, the Philadelphia Inquirer found complaints
against Dutoit were found "credible" and would not publish details. Note that he
conducted some 650 concerts with that orchestra since 1980. We can only wonder
how the orchestra was hiding this problem, like Levine, for several decades.
In the four months since Gatti was fired by the Concertgebouw, inquiries have
found no similar complains from his eight years at the Orchestre National de
France or his several years with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra. For Dutoit there is
a long list and maybe he should stay retired but Gatti is beginning to be asked
back to some podiums. The problem for me is that somebody's career can be
ended by unconfirmed charges by anyone in their past. Investigations were made
by the institutions in private. Not anymore.

Frank Cadenhead