Subject: Re: tickets for sale tonight's Met Opera Aida
From: Francis Immler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 03:05:57 -0400

I understand your disagreement, Idia.  But you weren't there last night,
right?

Something was all wrong in the first act. Anita was dull, Anna was faceless
( Imagine! ). They may have been simply discouraged by having to do this
again with the absolutely appallingly bad Antonenko, and who would blame
them? But this is what Andrew and I both heard and watched. I stopped short
of suggesting we cut our losses and leave at intermission, because Andrew
said maybe they are all having a hard time warming up. (Also, we had driven
from Princeton in torrential rain, and I wasn't looking forward to more of
the same.) But THAT'S how we both felt about the first act.

By Act 3, both Anita and Anna were FAR more themselves. O Patria Mia was
well done, but no more than that - at least she wasn't squally as she had
been in the first act. And Anita did her best with Amneris's big scene (I
thought to myself, as I always do in this opera, why is it called Aida, not
Amneris? She is the far more interesting character). But it wasn't enough,
because of Antonenko. And the last act was absolutely ruined because of him.

Honestly, we bolted - not waiting for curtain calls, as we almost always do
- because we simply didn't want to endure this any more.

Sorry to be a contrarian on this, and I'm glad your experience with
Netrebko's Aida was better than ours. But for us, based on last night, this
just may not be her role. Maybe if her Radames had been her husband, who
was FIRST-RATE in Fanciulla Monday night, we might think differently ...?
Best,
Frank/Princeton