Subject: Re: Caballe's "Nozze" Countess
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 22:25:33 -0700

Unlike many other great divas, Caballé doesn’t seem to have carried any major roles throughout her career as something that one would use to identify her. You had Price as Aida and, maybe the “Forza” Leonora, MIlanov as Gioconda, Sutherland as Lucia and the “Puritani” Elvira, Tebaldi as Desdemona that all carried over many years. It seems that Caballé liked taking on new roles and music constantly. Maybe she was easily bored.

I would like to have heard her in more Mozart. Colin Davis badly wanted her for Donna Anna, but she ended up cancelling and Martina Arroyo got one of her many recordings thanks for a Caballé cancellation. I think she would have been one of those rare ones who could really honk out “Or sai chi l’onore” and also manage the finesse for “Non mi dir” (no doubt with a spectacular piano for the B-flat “AbbaSTAnza”).

Speaking of which, does anyone have a more complete list of her recording cancellations?

The ones that Arroyo benefitted from that I know of, are the Gardelli “Forza” for EMI, Davis “Don Giovanni” for Philips, Muti “Ballo” for EMI (Muti was NOT happy), and Levine “Vespri” for RCA.

The one that benefitted Gwyneth Jones was the Desdemona for the McCracken “Otello” on EMI.

A late cancellation as Musetta (!) for the Colin Davis “Boheme” gave an opportunity to Ashley Putnam.

But Caballé herself was a last minute substitute (for I don’t remember who) as Santuzza on the Muti “Cavalleria” which I’m told she sight read.

She was somewhat late coming to San Francisco. She was scheduled for Norma in 1975 but cancelled, the performances taken over by Rita Hunter and Christina Deutekom (I hadn’t known before that Bellini was atonal). She was scheduled again for Turandot in 1977 and nobody believed she would show. But show and sing she did. I had good friends in the chorus who were all initially put off when, on what was supposed to be a day off, they were all abruptly summoned to the opera house on a Sunday morning. Madame wanted to sing. She’d flown in from Spain, the jet lag had her awake early and she wanted to sing and wanted the orchestra and chorus all there.

Few of them minded after they got to hear her. Those high Cs could be heard in Beijing.

Those and the Nilssonian detonations she achieved the next year with Tosca’s high Cs made one suspect she was specifically sending a message to La Nilsson after Nilsson’s joke about her had gotten around.

This during the rehearsals for the Royal Opera “Elektra” conducted by Carlos Kleiber.

Gwyneth Jones (Chrysothemis) commented to Nilsson (Elektra) during a break, “I was recently in Caballé country.”
Nilsson: “ You mean Aballé country.”
Jones (puzzled): “No, I mean Barcelona, Caballé country.”
Nilsson: “I know. She’s lost her ‘C’! Cackle, cackle, cackle”

Max Paley