Subject: Re: Caballe's "Nozze" Countess
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 01:03:41 -0400

I'm of 2 minds abut this. Yes, she handles this very adroitly. But it makes no textual nor
musical sense to link the 2 phrases together without a breath. There is a comma after the
first "cor," and Mozart has the orchestra drop out after the end of that phrase, giving the
singer an implied bit of freedom to breathe. (Which is what most singers do choose to do,
as far as I'm aware.) The upward chromatic reach of the melody culminating in "cor" also
implies a cadential (or perhaps a sort of half-cadential?) figure, which calls for a proper
"lift" in the music, not barreling through to the next phrase. And, it's a repeat of the same
text (and music), so it would be much more dramatically realistic to take a slight pause
before voicing it for a 2nd time.

So, unfortunately, to me, this is really just a self-indulgent vocal moment. For a usually
mindful artist like Caballe, that's unfortunate. I never really thought of her as a "prima la
voce, e poi l'autore" kind of singer, lol. But in this moment, she is. Much as I love her
artistry in general.

But yes, on the other hand, that pianissimo repeat is quite wonderful and quite beautiful,
and dramatically effective in its own way. But I think I would have liked it better if she
had gone with the clear sense of the textual/musical phrasing and taken a breath - or
even just a bit of a luftpause. ;-)

(Am I being WAY picky here? Yes. But that's par for the course out here, after all...)