Subject: Re: Tosca at SFO
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 22:00:03 -0700

Thanks for that, Kirsten.

I’ll be seeing it on the 30th, after we get back from Israel and London.

Carmen Giannattasio has been much hyped up in the local press as the “Lady Gaga of Opera” due mostly to her looks and skill for self-promotion. She’s the first singer I’ve seen prominent in the season’s opening Opera Ball (showcase for the great dress designers and plastic surgeons).

As Ronnie Spector said of her early days of the Ronettes with their choreographed moves and long tight gowns, “Ya gotta have a gimmick.”

So I’m very curious about what I’ll hear. What I’ve been able to catch on YouTube shows a voice of good range and size, but fairly prosaic otherwise: nothing unusual or distinctive in sound or musicality. Maybe I’ll hear more when I see her. She did study with Leyla Gencer.

Max Paley