Subject: Re: Calleja's all-Verdi recital album?
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 19:30:39 -0700

I like it a lot. I downloaded it in high res from Acoustic Sounds.

As I noticed recently with his Cavaradossi in Munich, the timbre is very bright so projects very easily in music that one might otherwise think needed a heavier voice. The brightness of his sound in the Otello bits is certainly different from the darker, more baritonal tenors we’ve sometimes heard in the role. The closest recent comparison is Simon O’Neill on the LSO recording under Colin Davis.

From what I gather of Tamagno’s voice, it was also more of the high, bright type.

Max Paley