Subject: Re: greatest singers who never sang at the Met
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 13:55:03 +0000

Gertrud Grob-Prandl (was not as lauded as she could have been, because of the Nilsson phenomenon; she pretty much stayed in Vienna)
Elena Nicolai (not be confused with Elena Nikolaidi, who did sing at the Met, albeit briefly; she did not make much of an impression and only lasted I think one season)
Tiana Lemnitz (great singer, but an abhorrent person, a real Nazi); her postwar career was limited to Germany and Argentina
Margarete Klose (she appeared in San Francisco)
Giuseppina Cobelli (she was one of many in the 20s, 30s, and 40s who career focused on the "Latin" circuit rather than the "Anglo-Saxon" one)
Iva Pacetti (many might not claim she was a great singer, but she is one of the few in the last century who sang Isolde, Turandot, AND Norma, and she was no slouch as the Dyer's Wife in its La Scala premier)
Maria Cebotari
Hilde Konetzni (her sister Anny sang at the Met, but she was not terribly successful and the advent of Flagstad and Anny's high status in Vienna limited her Met career)
Germaine Lubin (I think she was mentioned already, but the Met had snapped up her rival Marjorie Lawrence)
WWII was a major factor in many singers not making it to the Met.
I am also  trying to think of singers who sang at the Manhattan Opera Company but not at the Met at the beginning of last century.
Mezzomaniac of the Religious Left