Subject: Re: Lyric Opera broadcasts/strike
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 23:57:59 +0000

Hi, Y'all!      Re Trish Callis' lament that LOC broadcasts are being discontinued for lack of a sponsor:  Let's remember that LOC is not entirely alone in the "opera broadcast business," and that WFMT also plays an important role.   Lyric IS good at raising money.  But we ALL need to know far, FAR more about efforts Lyric has and has not made, as well as WFMT's role in this.  Has the amount sponsors are required to pay been increased?  Is WFMT planning to continue the custom of broadcasting each opera live during actual performance time?  Is the role of these broadcasts truly no longer an "education and outreach priority" with one or both parties involved, and if so do we know for a fact which party actually dropped the ball?  A host of questions needs to be answered before one can "assign blame" for this unfortunate turn of events, and even then, our assigning of blame is quite unlikely to affect the position of anyone actually involved.  And after all this is said, I wholeheartedly agree with Trish:  it IS very sad.      Best Wishes,     Dennis Ryan