Subject: Re: Caballe week on Sirius/XM
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 13:39:12 -0500

The report here (Chicago) was that Caballe arrived for Ariadne not knowing
the part at all.  At the first run through with piano, Levine blew up and
told her that she had better learn it, and fast.  So Caballe spent something
like two weeks intensively working with an accompanist to learn Ariadne.
(The source for this was the late Andrew Karzas, conversation with him in
1976 shortly after those Ariadnes.)  Anyway, that might explain the problems
noted below with her Ariadne.  Maybe someone closer to the facts can
corroborate or expand on this.