Subject: Re: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 13:41:56 +0000

We should remember that quite a number of the singers who have been mentioned DID appear in New York in one way or another: at the Manhattan or NYCO ( including Maria Reining, as the Marschallin and Ariadne), in concert opera ( including Cerquetti, plus Fischer-Dieskau in DOKTOR FAUST and a legendarily arch, inert ORFEO with Schwarzkopf-- my father, who had and loved many of their records, said it was ghastly beyond belief, save for Popp as Amor) and in concerts or recitals. Some came with the visiting Chicago/Philadelphia companies or in guest visits by Rome (like Ilva Ligabue, who also sang for the American Opera Society) or Hamburg or the Finnish National or the ENO. ( Non-Met artists Valerie Masterson-- who earlier appeared at City Center with the D'Oyly Carte, I saw her with great pleasure when I was a small child-- Helen Field, and the late Arthur Davies appeared on that tour.) I say this as a Manhattan native: major and iconic company that it is, The Met is not 'the only game in town' and never has been.

Of Vesna's list: Gerville-Reache, like Mary Garden and Charles Dalmores ( and also great stars such as Maurice Renaud and Georges Baklanoff, who each joined the Met for only one performance, essentially as guests) sang at the Met's rival company the Manhattan Opera 1907-1910; she was also heard in NYC with the touring Philadelphia and Chicago operas before she died at 32 in 1915.
Tauber, already ill, sang a month-long run in 1946 on Broadway of an adaptation of THE LAND OF SMILES, opposite former Met Oscar/QON/Olympia Stella Andreva.
Kuznetsova also appeared at the Manhattan Opera Company, in the US premiere of CLEOPATRE in 1916. I may be wrong but I don't think Raveau or Schoene ever appeared outside of Europe. Minghini-Cattaneo made it to Egypt, but not AFAIK to the Western Hemisphere. Anday had major successes circa 1929 and 1930 in Montevideo and Buenos Aires, but I don;t know that she came to North America-- there are certainly several other such cases, the South American theaters were of considerable importance and troupes and soloists would ship there for months.

Merriman did sing in NYC, in Toscanini's NBC Orchestra concerts of RIGOLETTO Act IV, OTELLO, FALSTAFF and ORFEO Act II. Also concerts and other orchestral recitals, I believe.

Klose, past her best or not, did appear at San Francisco Opera in 1953, as the WALKUERE Fricka, Klytemnestra , Ulrica  She sang there with Gertrud Grob-Prandl and Ludwig Suthaus, who might also be on our list (and also with Sills as Gerhilde and the Fifth Maid!), I believe my parents heard Klose in a NYC recital around that time; they certainly heard Stignani in that format.
Maria mentioned Max Lorenz-- he DID sing at the Met, 1931-34 and again 1948-1950.
The great Maria Cebotari- who I believe also never sang outside of Europe, and like several singers mentioned above died very young-- should be added to the list.
Best - David Shengold