Subject: Re: Renata Scotto
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 04:36:38 -0400

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:42:08 -0500, Les Mitnick
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"First off, Scotto actually had a very long career, and if she developed vocal
problems (which she certainly did "big time"), they didn't really become
horrendous until around 1985 (she did a really vocally threadbare Tosca here
in Chicago in 1987, but continued to go on and even undertake Kundry and
the Marshallin in the very late 1980's and into the very early 1990's -- both of
which must have been horrible)."

I find it a bit strange when people write "which must have been horrible" or
similar. If you haven't heard it, dear Les, maybe it's better not to make
assumptions? It is easy to find clips of Ms Scotto doing both Kundry and
Marchallin on youtube - and I think she is more than acceptable in both. But,
of course, what value is my view, based on actually hearing (admittedly small
clips in not the best quality), as compared to your "assumptions"?

Kind regards

Ulrik