Subject: Re: tickets for sale tonight's Met Opera Aida
From: Francis Immler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Oct 2018 04:06:54 -0400

Yes, he was tonight, Idia, and he was awful from start to finish - Celeste
Aida was BLEATED at full throat throughout, with no rhythmic sense, absolutely
no awareness of the words he was saying and appropriate tonal shadings, and
it got no better at all, completely undermining the entire performance.

But much of the rest of the cast was not much better. Don't know what was
going on with Netrebko - maybe just a bad night? - but she had few good
moments, and NONE in Act 1. Mostly to me, she just seemed clueless, and I
have been a big fan, starting with War and Piece all those years ago and
through the various transitions.

It's a strange Aida when the best singing and acting in Act 1 is from the
Messenger (Arseny Yakovlev, a member of the Lindemann Young Artist
Development Program, per the booklet - YOU GO GUY!!), and the best singing
of the rest is from Quinn Kelsey as Amonasro. A really disappointing
evening for both Andrew and me. Even so, the chorus and orchestra were
splendid, so that helped us stay to the sad (on so many levels) end.
Frank/Princeton