Subject: Re: Nelson Eddy and Opera
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 Oct 2018 03:12:57 +0000

Eddy's frequent partner Jeanette MacDonald also performed operas,
singing both Marguerite and Juliette for several companies, although
unlike Eddy she turned to opera after she was a movie star. She studied
with Lotte Lehmann, who was far more impressed with MacDonald than she
expected to be, and said that she could have been a fine lieder singer
had she found the time to devote to it. Her operatic performances were
well reviewed.

Eddy sang in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Russian and
Yiddish. He died two years after MacDonald, after being stricken during
a nightclub show in Miami.

Incidentally, Eddy did sing at the Met, although not in Met
performances--in 1932 he sang Jochanaan to Jeritza's Salome in a
condensed version with the Musicians' Symphony Orchestra under Reiner.
He performed in other benefit performances as well.