Subject: Nelson Eddy and Opera
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:44:07 -0400

Speaking of Nelson Eddy, I think many people are often surprised when they realize the
extent and success of his operatic endeavors.

In 1931 Stokowski conducted the American Premiere of "Wozzeck" with Nelson Eddy as The
Drum Major.

There is also a live Stokowski recording of "Parsifal" from Philadelphia with Eddy as
Gurnemanz, and Rose Bampton as Kundry.

Eddy had committed at least 35 opera roles to memory and had performed 31 of those.

He thought Hollywood should make opera films, but not until they figured out a way to do
them justice.

Nelson's favorite opera was "Gotterdammerung," and (naturally) his favorite composer was
Wagner.

His roles included:

CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA - Alfio
LA NAVARRAISE - Bustamente
GIANNI SCHICCHI - Gianni Schicchi
SAMSON ET DELILAH - Abimelech & the High Priest
TANNHAUSER - Wolfram
MADAMA BUTTERFLY - Sharpless
ROMEO ET JULIETTE - Mercutio
LOHENGRIN - Herald
FEUERSNOT - Hammerlein
SECRET OF SUZANNE - Count Gil
L'AMORE DEI TRE RE - Manfredo
DIE MEISTERSINGER - Kothner
MANON LESCAUT - Lescaut
L'ENFANT PRODIGUE - Simeon
ORFEO ED EURYDICE - Orfeo
DAS RHEINGOLD - Donner
GOTTERDAMMERUNG - Gunther
FAUST - Valentine
HANSEL AND GRETL - Peter
L'ELISIR D'AMORE - Belcore
ELEKTRA - Orestes
WOZZECK - Drum Major
MARIA EGIZIACA - Abbot Zosimo and Pilgrim (Respighi's opera - world premiere)
SALOME - Jochanahan (to Jeritza's Salome)
PARSIFAL - Gurnemanz

Of great interest to me was the fact Eddy had written a screenplay based on the life of
Chaliapin  and planned to star in it.  Talk about missed opportunities!

p.