Subject: Re: STRIKE!!!
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Oct 2018 23:06:11 +0000

Hi, Y'all!     I, too, hope that this is settled quickly.  That said, I hope that Freud stands FIRM.  Lyric Opera has been generous, honest,  and forthright with its unions.  The cuts proposed by Freud seem to me to be necessary to preserve the financial integrity of the company.  Orchestra, chorus, stagehands--all are fairly paid at Lyric, would continue to be fairly paid even with the proposed cuts.  NO company can continually chip away at funds earmarked for endowment reserves in order to meet union demands and remain sound.  That is part and parcel of the mismanagement that destroyed NYCO.   Unions that opera houses must deal with seem determined to ignore the financial integrity of the institutions that provide them jobs, so long as they get theirs in the short run.  The long run always takes the hindmost.  I hope those New York unions look back proudly at their negotiations and say, "I'm so happy we bargained ourselves out of a job."   Lyric Opera is one of the most solidly and generously endowed art institutions in the world.  So unions look at the company and say, "Oh, they HAVE the money, so let's ask for more."  Unions seem to regard endowment money as "spendable income."  So they DO ask for more, or, as in this case, they oppose cuts necessary during times when the company is suffering financially.  The unions that bargained NYCO out of existence are as much to blame for that company's sad demise as were the mismanagers who continually gave in to union demands.  I hope that Freud is totally committed to the financial integrity of the Company.      Best wishes,     Dennis Ryan