Subject: Re: Adriana (was Caballe's commercial recorded legacy)
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:34:19 -0500

Mr. Donati:
    I am, I'm sure, one of many on this Board who takes exception to your bashing of Renata Scotto.  If you never appreciated her voice, that's your right.  However, you must understand that there were many, like myself, who found Scotto to be a real and dedicated artist.  She didn't become "the next Callas", although she was undoubtedly inspired by Callas in her approach music.  Personally, I think that Renata Scotto has left behind a musical legacy that will not quickly be forgotten.  Her Butterfly, Adriana, Desdemona, Violetta, and Manon Lescaut were models are their kind, and looking back, I can't help wondering whether her "infamous Opening Night Norma" was really all that bad.  The fact that Callas had died only a few years before and blazed brighter than ever, and Scotto's determination to sing Norma had a lot to do with it also.  Scotto was gutsy.  She took her share of scorn and derision, but would never be counted out.  I just happened to LOVE HER VOICE and her musical messsage.