Subject: Re: Adriana (was Caballe's commercial recorded legacy)
From: Buoso Donati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:51:11 -0400

I usually concur with Mr. Rideout's taste in singers, except when it comes
to Renata Scotto.

With her decision to become the next Callas (the slimming down and taking on
roles much too heavy for her voice) she became a chore to hear as well as to
watch.

Contorted facial expressions (signing out of the side of her mouth in an
attempt to control a wobble) scenery chewing passing for acting.
And the screeching....

I say this after having to sat through many of her performances at the Met
for well over a decade. There really was no other option if you wanted to
attend live opera performances of anything in the Italian repertory; Jimmy
cast her in everything, including Musetta.

Who could forget her Norma? I wish I could.

Her last performances of Butterfly? People were walking out in droves.

To her credit, I often listen to her Butterfly recording with Barbirolli and
her Verismo album under Gavazzeni...and that's about it.