Subject: Festivale Verdi 2018 - MACBETH
From: William Videbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:20:40 -0400

Today's New York Times had a piece on the Festivale Verdi held in Parma, Italy,  providing critical reviews of their offerings that included the French version of "Il Trovatore" and Verdi's original "Macbeth, both with their respective ballets. Sounded very interesting. Later, in surfing on YouTube I surprisingly  happened to come across the telecast of that very 'Macbeth". Well worth the visit. The cast for this production in provincial Parma was anything but provincial with my particular attention drawn to the soprano, Anna Pirozzi who was something of a delight to me. It struck me how much in common she has with Montserrat Caballe, especially the Caballe I remembered as the memorable Lucrezia Borgia in her New York debut. Miss Pirozzi's soprano has something of the same sound in weight and security, even appearance, of that time.  No one but Caballe owns that trademark indefatigable pianissimo but Miss Pirozzi has a secure piano within the fullness of a secure range. Not exactly a stage animal but her instincts, basic as they may be, show an earnest desire to be relevant.  Her Macbeth, Luca Scalsi, gives a performance from strength.  The two work musically very well together. But as I mentioned, it was Miss Pirozzi who stole my attention.  She looks as though she may have perhaps a decade or so of career behind her but one wonders why we haven't heard her or of her before. I know that Teatro Regio of Parma is a jewel box of a house but I have no doubt she could fill a house the size of the Met. Let's hope we do some day.

Speaking of hearing an artist, by the way, who impressed me but never heard from again, there was another Lady Macbeth from Glimmerglass two or three seasons ago named Melody Moore.  She too was individually excellent well beyond the norm. What ever happened to her?

As for great singers who never sang at the Met, an encyclopedic list has already been given but let's include Meta Seinemeyer as well, short-lived as her career was to be.

Bill V