Subject: Caballe's fach
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Oct 2018 01:25:07 +0000

Caballe was versatile, but if one could "fach" her, I would claim it is a certain type of lyric-dramatic Donizetti role with an emphasis on the middle voice, agility, and an occasional high C: roles like Lucrezia Borgia, Maria Stuarda, Gemma di Vergy, Parisina, Maria de Rohan, Anna Bolena, Roberto Devereux. I would also place Bellini's Il Pirata or La Sraniera in this category.
I would also "fach" her in some of the Rossini opera seria Colbran roles, like Ermione, Semiramide and Elena in La Donna del Lago, again, roles that stay in the middle with occasional ascents to high B flats and interpolated Cs. . ..
I concur that the Salome recording is spectacular (I mentioned it in a recent post). She makes it sound easy! It is almost like it was written for her.
Mezzomaniac (of the Religious Left)