Subject: Re: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 08:22:36 -0400

I was surprised to see that some of these singers never sang at the Met.
Among those already mentioned, I would single out Rosa Raisa, the first
Turandot, as one of the most puzzling Met omissions because she lived in
the states for a long time and yet the Met never seized the opportunity to
engage her.

Many names were already mentioned, which made me revisit the Met online
archives and there were a few more I didn't see listed:
Maria Kuznetsova
Richard Tauber
Lotte Schone
Some artists who had to go into exile from the Nazis found their home at
the Met, but not sure if Schone and Tauber were ever invited.

And there are quite a few mezzos & contraltos to be added to those that
others already spoke about:
Jeanne Gerville-Reache
Alice Raveau
Rosette Anday
Irene Minghini-Cattaneo
Margarete Klose
Germaine Cernay
Nan Merriman
Zara Dolukhanova

Most of these, except for Merriman and Dolukhanova (I think Klose was past
her prime by then), are from the pre-Bing era .

Vesna