Subject: Re: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 22:09:25 -0500

Tom:
I'll run for cover with you and Idia.  Pavarotti was the worst opera stage performer of his time.  He sang, albeit with a gorgeous voice (for a good while before he became a cash-cow for Herbert Breslin) in a stand-up-and-sing fashion.  He had absolutely no ability to create a character, could not move on stage, and eventually became a media clown.
    Ironically, Mario Lanza never wanted an opera career anyway. He sang a couple of Pinkertons in 1948 and that was it.  MGM scooped him up and the rest is history. He made a few films (which were pleasant enough, along with "The Great Caruso", which was highly fictionalized), got fat, got thin, behaved like a pig, and was dead at the age of 38. Strangely enough, he developed a friendship with Licia Albanese while they did an Otello sequence in the film "Serenade".  She told him that his singing needed polish and refinement, but he told her that he really was more interested in singing songs than going through the rigors of learning complete operatic roles.
    I don't think Lanza would have been an especially effective opera performer.  But make no mistake: he made a lot of people happy, introduced a lot of young people to opera via his films and recordings, etc.
He also had great raw material that he was never able to hone and refine.