Subject: Re: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 17:19:31 -0500

On Oct 8, 2018, at 4:39 PM, Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Pavarotti, with all his vocal splendor, was not a good opera performer. It was all about him singing loud and long.

This is pretty much my feeling about Milanov - but without the “long and loud.” She always sounded to me like it was all about her producing beautiful sound. I heard no connection with character and no interaction with the other singers on the stage. Perhaps having seen her in performance would have affected me differently. Who knows?

As for Lanza, I agree with Tom. Boris Goldovsky had some negative views about him as well in his book, I believe.

I love beautiful voices but opera is about drama and music. Very few singers have ever satisfied me with voice alone.

Kurt Youngmann

“You can fool some of the people some of the time -- and that's enough to make a decent living.”
- w.c. fields