Subject: Re: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:52:26 -0700

Vesna,

I hate to waste my third posting so early in the day but Jeanne Gerville
Reache would undoubtedly have sung at the Met as she was on the roster of
Hammerstein's Manhattan Opera House and actually died in New York at the
age fo 32 from foot poisoning.  I am sure she would have ended up at the
Met.  She sang in Chicago,New York and all over the United States.  Rosette
Anday spent the war years hiding from the Nazi's, in France I believe as
did Lotte Schone.  I'm actually not certain of this but Anday did not sing
under the Nazi's.  She was I believe Jewish and if she remained in Austria,
I guess some how she was protected by someone.  By the end of the war, both
might have been considered passe.  Merriman went to Europe and lived
there.  Cernay died young in 1943, Klose I believe sang in San Francisco
and Buenos Aires after the war.  Dolukhanov was hampered by the cold war
and I believe was more of a concert singer anyway.  Raveau had a big career
in France and for whatever reason, lots of French singers never travelled.
The great Ninon Vallin sang in the US.  Sang in Chicago but never at the
Met - go figure.  She was in her facht, the equal to Germaine Lubin.  I am

Donald